2011 Go! Show Episodes
Below is a list of Go! Show segments from 2011.
December 27, 2011
- Let's Get Organized! - Professional Organizer Valerie Gisel from Live in Balance stops by the Go! Show studio to discuss organization and the Let's Get Organized! classes with Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann.
- LEGO Robotics Winter Break Camp - Bock Neighborhood Center Manager George Grey visits the LEGO Robotics: Invasion of the Robots Winter Break camp. Grey chats with camp directors and kids about the camp and watches what the kids create using LEGO blocks and technology.
- Schaumburg Showdown 3v3 Soccer Tournament - Sport Center Assistant Manager Brian Feldott reports from the Schaumburg Showdown, the annual winter break 3v3 soccer tournament at the Sport Center. Soccer enthusiasts took to the indoor fields for short rounds of soccer. Feldott talks with youth players to see what they think of the tournament.
- Fit to Give - Schaumburg Park District Fitness Supervisor Jennie Bever drops into a few Fitness Unlimited and Club 55 classes during Fit to Give. Participants brought a canned food item or an article of clothing to participate in the scheduled Fit to Give classes for free. Food was donated to the Schaumburg Food Pantry and clothing went to the Salvation Army.
December 6, 2011
- Santa's Flight to Schaumburg - The reindeer are sleeping in this year! Special Events Supervisor George Grey interviews children awaiting Santa's arrival by helicopter at Schaumburg Regional Airport. Families enjoyed breakfast in the airport's hangar and told Santa their holiday wishes.
- Jingle Paws - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler reports with her pup from the dog event of the season, Jingle Paws. Casler chats with dog owners, the event organizer, Santa and local dog organizations.
- Christmas in the Valley - Heritage Farm Program Coordinator Patty Kennedy gives viewers a tour of Christmas in the Valley and chats with a few volunteers and guests at the event. Kennedy also talks with jolly old St. Nicholas inside the Merkle Log Cabin.
- 5K Chilly Chili Race - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner reports from the annual 5K Chilly Chili Race at Schaumburg Golf Club. Paukner interviews the overall winner and a few other racers while they enjoy a chili lunch after the 3.1 mile run.
November 22, 2011
- Used Shoe Collection - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner interviews Tot & Safety Park Coordinator Jeanne Gonzalez on the used shoe collection benefiting Stuff for the Poor.
- Winter Break Camps - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner interviews winter break camp organizer George Grey about the Way Fun Winter Break Camp and Chess Scholars Camp. Environmental Education Coordinator Mary Rice talks with Derek Gronlund about Spring Valley's winter break camp and the exciting days immersed in nature activities.
- SBA Business EXPO - Schaumburg Park District Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler from the Schaumburg Business Association Business EXPO at the Schaumburg Convention Center. Casler talks with local businesses and meets a few new friends during her visit.
- Group Piano Lessons - Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller reports from group piano lessons at the Community Recreation Center. Waller chats with instructors and checks out what Wee Play Piano and Kids on Key classes offer to students.
November 8, 2011
- SBA Business EXPO Preview - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann discusses the upcoming Schaumburg Business Association Business EXPO with the SBA's Tonya Lamia, president, and Ben Olson, EXPO chair. The EXPO will be held on Nov. 16 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center.
- Splending Ballroom Dance - Senior Center Supervisor Lisa Perrone reports from the Senior Western BBQ Luncheon on September 29. Seniors sang along to western hits performed by Rick Pickren and enjoyed BBQ favorites.
- Indoor Sprint Triathlon - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from the MIST Indoor Sprint Triathlon at the Community Recreation Center. This action-packed event consisted of a 10-minute swim, 15-minute bike and 15-minute run.
- Senior Western BBQ Luncheon - Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller dances her way into Schaumburg Park District's Splendid Ballroom Dance class at the Community Recreation Center. Participants learn the Waltz, Cha Cha, Foxtrot, Rhumba and Tango.
October 18, 2011
- Urban Skunks - Go! Show Host and Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann interviews Conservation Services Manager Dave Brooks on the local skunk population. Learn about skunks, what to do if you encounter a skunk and more!
- Howl-O-Ween Pooch Parade - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from the annual Howl-O-Ween Pooch Parade. The event featured agility contests, vendors, a parade, musical chairs and a costume contest. These pups showed off their Halloween spirit!
- CorePole Open House - Fitness Supervisor Jennie Bever reports from the CorePole Open House at Meineke Recreation Center. CorePole is a complete cardio and strength conditioning system that can simultaneously accommodate many users. CorePole delivers strength, cardio, flexibility and stability through a variety of exercises in one workout.
- Wacky Wagon - Wacky Wagon's Pam Gauper visits summer's free Wacky Wagon Camp. The theme Fridays of Massive Messy Fun, Dino Dig Adventure and Around the World in 180 Minutes are featured in this fun segment.
October 4, 2011
- Halloween House Decorating Tour 2010 - Special Events Supervisor Kristy Paukner tags along on the Halloween House Decorating Tour for a glimpse of some of Schaumburg's spookiest homes. A few kids on the Halloween tour even voice their thoughts on the homes!
- Kids Kooky Kooking - Bock Neighborhood Center Manager George Grey drops in on the Kids Kooky Kooking class. Grey talks with these new chefs and checks out what they're making.
- Tribute Park and Volkening Lake - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann reports from the site of the upcoming Tribute Park at Volkening Lake. Schlinkmann interviews Superintendent of Parks and Planning Todd King about the current renovations at Volkening Lake and future plans for the site including Schaumburg Park Foundation's pathway stones.
- Town Square Environmental Award - Conservation Services Manager Dave Brooks reports from Town Square Condominiums. Brooks talks with Dennis Paige, chief native landscaper, whose native plantings helped the condominiums win the Al Larson Environmental Award. The award is presented quarterly to recognize members of the community that demonstrate environmental awareness and action in day to day activities. Residents at Town Square Condominiums converted 5,000 square feet of lawn into native perennial eco-gardens.
September 20, 2011
- Macnider Cross Country Course Dedication - In honor of two successful Schaumburg High School track coaches, the Schaumburg Park District on Sept. 22 dedicated the Macnider Cross Country Course at Hoover School Park. The Go! Show and host Jean Schlinkmann stopped by to watch the ceremony.
- Alexian Brothers Women's Board Carnival Fundraiser - Alexian Brothers Women’s Board is helping to enhance pediatric services and raise awareness for the new children's hospital. Women's Board President Sonal Patel Trivedi and Director of the Alexian Brothers Pediatric Specialist Group Marcy Traxler discuss the Carnival fundraiser set for Nov. 5 with Park District Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler.
- New Farm Animals - Heritage Farm Operations Coordinator Evan Zimmerman and Program Coordinator Patty Kennedy introduce viewers to Heritage Farm's new arrivals, three pigs and a cow.
- Cultural Arts Open House - Schaumburg Park District Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller reports from the Cultural Arts Open House at the Community Recreation Center. Waller stops by to discuss visual arts, dance, drama and music with students and teachers.
September 6, 2011
- Miss Septemberfest 2011 - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann reports from the Rotary Club of Schaumburg-Hoffman Estates meeting where this year's Miss Septemberfest was crowned. Schlinkmann interviews the Miss Septemberfest Court and the winner, Ali Roller.
- Schaumburg Park District Website - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler interviews Links Technology CEO Brian Burke about Schaumburg Park District's new website, parkfun.com, which launched in May, 2011.
- SAA Basketball - Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann chats with SAA 7th and 8th Grade Basketball Commissioner Pam Lawrence. The duo discuss SAA's basketball program.
- Let's Paint and Sing- Assistant Aquatics Supervisor Stacy Johnson stops by the early childhood class, Let's Paint and Sing. Kids did craft projects and sangs with their parents at the Community Recreation Center.
August 16, 2011
- Fourth Annual Links Technology Cup - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann reports from the Aug. 10 Links Technology Cup at Schaumburg Golf Club. Schlinkmann interviews Brian Burke about the fourth annual golf outing benefiting the Schaumburg Park Foundation.
- Safety Town Graduation - Assistant Aquatics Supervisor Stacy Johnson stops by Safety Park for Safety Town graduation. Children ages 4 to 6 learned a variety of safety tips from their instructors, biked around the District's Safety Park and accepted their diplomas.
- Schaumburg Idol 2011 - Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller is in studio with the final contestants from Schaumburg Idol, Marissa Glosny and Emily Whaley. Watch a few performances and learn more about the contestants.
- National Night Out - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from National Night Out in Meineke Park. The event is designed to heighten crime prevention and safety awareness. Strombeck talks with Schaumburg police and firefighters.
August 2, 2011
- Barracuda Swim Team - Assistant Aquatics Supervisor Stacy Johnson reports from a Barracuda Swim Team meet at Meineke Recreation Center. The Schaumburg Park District Barracuda Swim Team is a multi-level program offering opportunities for competition and skill development to all swimmers. New members are always welcome.
- LATER - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from the free summer drop-in program, LATER. The program is held at Brandenburg and Timbercrest Parks.
- Septemberfest - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler talks with Village of Schaumburg Events Manager Roxane Benevenuti about Septemberfest, the annual festival celebrating all things Schaumburg.
- S.O.S. Camp - Conservation Services Manager Dave Brooks reports from S.O.S Camp at Spring Valley. Kids built shelters from sticks, learned about wildlife and camped overnight.
July 18, 2011
- Triathlon and Duathlon - Aquatics Supervisor Stacy Johnson reports from the annual Schaumburg
Park District Triathlon and Duathlon. Johnson chats with the runners,
bikers and swimmers at the early morning summer race.
- Seniors - Red, White and Blue Luncheon - Senior Supervisor Lisa Perrone reports from the Red, White and Blue Luncheon at the Senior Center. The seniors watched a musical performance, ate delicious food and talked with Lisa about the event.
- Family Ice Cream Social and Schaumburg Summer Dance Concert - Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller reports from the Family Ice Cream
Social and Summer Dance Concert. Families enjoyed ice cream, dance
instruction from Arthur Murray, live music and the Community Singers.
- NADA Dodgeball Days - Athletics Supervisor Doug Sieder reports from the adult and youth NADA Dodgeball Days at Olympic Park. Sieder talks with players and fans of the twelfth annual NADA tournament.
July 5, 2011
- Noonie Time - Party Coordinator Pam Gauper reports from Noonie Time, the
Schaumburg Park District's free summer entertainment series. Gauper
chats with a few of the performers and Mathnasium.
- Emerald Ash Borer and Davey Tree - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler talks with Davey Tree's
Brian Borkowicz about the emerald ash borer, an invasive, wood-boring
beetle from Asia that has destroyed millions of ash trees.
- Yappy Hour - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from Yappy Hour, a unique happy hour featuring wine from Lynfred Winery and pups. Pups enjoyed the agility course, games and hot dogs while their humans enjoyed tasty wine.
- Summer Camps - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner drops into a few
Schaumburg Park District summer camps to see what the campers are doing.
June 20, 2011
- Solstice Hop and Vine Fest - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler reports from the Schaumburg Park Foundation's
first ever Solstice Hop and Vine Fest. More than 750 wine and beer
aficionados enjoyed tastings from local wineries and breweries.
- 3rd and 4th Grade Dance Party - Assistant Aquatics Supervisor Stacy Johnson reports from the Father's
Day Weekend Fishing Derby. Johnson talks with a few kids to see what
fish they're catching in Volkening Lake.
- Father's Day Weekend Fishing Derby - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler chats with
Chef John La Puma, M.D. at Cook, Eat, Live Healthy, a free event
organized by Alexian Brothers Health System.
- Chef John La Puma, M.D. - Athletic Supervisor Doug Sieder stops by the 3rd and 4th grade event
of the season. Kids danced to a DJ, showed off their dancing skills and
June 6, 2011
- SBA Challenge - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler reports from the SBA Challenge. Teams competed in sports and couch potato competitions at the Sport Center.
- Organic Lawn Care 101 - Expert gardener Mike Nowak
explains how simple cultural practices can be just as effective as
expensive chemicals in keeping your lawn green and healthy at Spring
Valley Nature Center.
- Employee Fitness Walk - Special Events Supervisor George Grey stops by the Employee Fitness Walk
at the Woodfield Lake Office Campus. Local businesses came to walk the
lake, receive free health screenings from Alexian Brothers and eat a healthy lunch provided by Sweet Tomatoes.
May 23, 2011
- Bike to Work Week / Fahrrad Tour von Schaumburg Bike Ride & Picnic - Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann interviews Schaumburg Mayor Al
Larson at Bike to Work Day. After biking to the Robert O. Atcher
Municipal Center, Mayor Larson biked to Dunkin Donuts for the Cop on Top
event for the Special Olympics. George Grey stops by the annual Fahrrad
Tour von Schaumburg Bike Ride and Picnic to see what local bikers are
up to on the warm May day.
- Run to Alexian Field 5K - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner reports from the
annual Run to Alexian Field 5K. The race began in the Metra parking lot
and finished inside the stadium. Kristy talks with runners and the
overall male finisher.
- Behind the Scenes of the Bock Pool Opening - Aquatics Supervisor Jen Gorczyca visits Bock Pool to show viewers the steps involved in opening the pool for the summer season.
- Flying 4 Kids - Special Events Supervisor George Grey reports from Flying 4 Kids, a
statewide kite fly, held at Bock Neighborhood Center. Families built and
decorated kites and watched them soar at Bock Park.
May 9, 2011
- SAA Spring Update - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits the new Schaumburg Athletic Association offices and learns about upcoming happenings.
- Chef's Fest - Go! Show host and Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann talks with Dave Parulo from the Woodfield Chicago Northwest Convention Bureau about the upcoming Chef's Fest at Arlington Park Racecourse.
- NADA Spring Tune-Up Tournament - Athletic Supervisor Doug Sieder reports from the spring adult NADA tournament held at the Sport Center. Winners received paid bids to the outdoor national championships held in July.
- 10 and Under Tennis at Schaumburg Tennis Plus - Schaumburg Tennis Plus Manager Jaime Coplon interviews Tennis Director
Jonathan Fralick and Pro Paul MacDonald about new court lines. Schaumburg Tennis Plus
painted permanent lines for players under age ten on three indoor
tennis courts, making it the first facility in the Midwest with new
kid-friendly indoor courts.
April 25, 2011
- Springtime on the Farm - Conservation Manager Dave Brooks reports from Springtime on the Farm
held in April at Heritage Farm. Visitors met some friendly animals,
tried out authentic spring cleaning and helped with farm chores.
- Volunteer Reception - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann reports from the “Gleeful Thanks!” annual recognition reception.
- Bunny Bash - Special Events Supervisor George Grey reports from the annual Bunny Bash
at the Community Recreation Center. Adults and children enjoyed photos
with the Bunny, egg hunts, games and spring crafts.
- Schaumburg Golf Club - Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann discusses the 2011 season at Schaumburg Golf Club with Golf Director Pepi Irwin.
April 11, 2011
- Canine Carnival - Sport Center Assistant Manager Brian Feldott interviews the gymnastics team based at the Sport Center and talks with Gymnastics Coordinator Joanne Carpenter.
- Garden of Diversity - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits Heritage Farm to discuss cattle, horses, piglets and other animals with Heritage Farm Operations Coordinator Evan Zimmerman.
- Spring Valley Animals - Special Events Supervisor George Grey stops by the Garden of Diversity: Our Multicultural Heritage at the Community Recreation Center. The event, co-sponsored by District 54, highlights cultures in Schaumburg and features performances, crafts, games and more.
- Gymnastics - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from the pup
event of the season. Humans and their dogs enjoyed potato sack races,
the agility course and bobbing for hot dogs.
March 28, 2011
- Dad & Daughter Tropical Date Night - Special Events Supervisor George Grey reports from the tropical themed date night for dads and their daughters held at the Community Recreation Center.
- Constitution Award - Chuck Linkenheld of the American Legion and Athena Saldhana visit the Go! Show studio to discuss an oratorical contest on the Constitution.
- Sugar Bush Fair - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits Spring Valley's Sugar Bush Fair. The organic grocer Whole Foods donated the pancake breakfast this year.
- RPM Open House - Park District Fitness Supervisor Jennie Bever stops by the spin room to showcase the new spin class, RPM. RPM is spinning to the rhythm of powerful music.
March 14, 2011
- Spring Dance Concert - Community Recreation Center Manager Kristy Paukner stops by the Dance Troupe's Spring Dance Concert to talk with performers and take a look at the show.
- Earth Hour - Conservation Manager Dave Brooks discusses upcoming events and current happenings at Spring Valley with Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann.
- Spring at Spring Valley - IKEA Sustainability Specialist Tiaa Hansson-Tuntland discusses Earth Hour with SPD Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann in the studio.
February 28, 2011
- SAA Cheerleading & Football - SPD Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann discusses SAA cheerleading and football with Cheerleading Commissioner Christine Rooney and Football Commissioner Tony D'Orazio.
- Senior Mardi Gras Luncheon - Senior Supervisor Lisa Perrone reports from the Mardi Gras Luncheon held at the Senior Center. Lisa talks with guests and enjoys a performance from Ed Warble.
- Heritage Farm Piglets - Heritage Farm Operations Coordinator Evan Zimmerman introduces viewers to the new piglets and discusses their birth at Schaumburg's 1880s farm.
- Time Travelers Theatre Ensemble - Time Travelers Theatre Ensemble Director Marc Jolley reports from the Ensemble's seventh anniversary show at Schaumburg Tennis Plus.
February 14, 2011
- Snowshoeing - Communications and Corporate Relations Director Pat Casler visits Spring Valley to try out snowshoeing with Conservation Manager Dave Brooks. There's nothing like going off the trail when exploring nature.
- Piloxing Open House - Fitness Instructor Colette Madsen introduces PILOXING, a blend of Pilates and boxing, to the Schaumburg Park District.
- Preschool Aerobics - SPD Fitness Supervisor Jennie Bever chats with Ms. Ellen from the SPD preschool's Meineke classroom about their health unit. Watch these preschoolers work out with instruction from Fitness Instructor Lyn.
- 4th to 6th Grade Sports Night - Meineke Recreation Manager Gwen Strombeck report from the sports event of the season- 4th to 6th Grade Sports Night. Find out what sports teams these kids love.
January 31, 2011
- Fabbrini's Flowers - It's a special Valentine's Day segment on the Go! Show. Jim Fabbrini of Fabbrini's Flowers stops by the Go! Show studio to discuss Valentine's Day flower arrangements and gifts.
- Lynfred Winery - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits with Lynfred Winery Marketing Director Christina Anderson-Heller. The pair discuss Valentine's Day happenings and tour the bed and breakfast.
- Used Shoe Collection - Regular Go! Show reporter Kristy Paukner stops by Pat Shephard Center to talk with Tot & Safety Park Coordinator Jeanne Gonzalez about January's used shoe collection for Stuff for the Poor and all things preschool.
- Medieval Times - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler tours Medieval Times and talks with Medieval Times Marketing and Sales Manager Marla Hart.
January 17, 2011
- Mayor Al Larson - Village of Schaumburg Mayor Al Larson makes his annual appearance on the Go! Show and talks with host and Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jean Schlinkmann. Mayor Larson discusses the latest happenings in the village.
- Urban Moves - SPD Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller visits Urban Moves, a hip hop class taught by the talented Karlo Familara. Watch these animated kids show off their moves!
- True Lacrosse - Bock Center Manager George Grey stops by the Sport Center to talk with True Lacrosse Owner and Director Mike Gabel about lacrosse offerings at the Schaumburg Park District.
- STP Adult Professional-Amateur Tennis Social - Schaumburg Tennis Plus Manager Jaime Coplon interviews staff and players about the fun happenings at the tennis social held at the District's tennis club.
January 3, 2011
- Behind the Scenes: Snow Removal - Hooray for clean paths, parking lots and skating spaces! Superintendent of Parks Todd King describes the snow removal process of the Schaumburg Park District.
- Holiday House Decorating Tour - SPD Special Events Assistant Mary Ralston guides viewers through the annual Holiday House Decorating Tour. Schaumburg residents competed for the most festive home.
- 5th & 6th Grade Holiday Ball - Meineke Recreation Center Manager Gwen Strombeck reports from the teen holiday event of the season where kids enjoyed a buffet dinner, dancing, sports and more!
- New Year's Fitness Resolutions - SPD Fitness Supervisor Jennie Bever shows viewers fitness classes offered during the winter months including Taal Fusion, Small on the Ball and Pump Cycle.