2009 Go! Show Episodes
Below is a list of Go! Show segments from 2009.
December 30, 2009
- 5K Chilly Chili - Regular Go! Show contributor Kristy Paukner is at the Schaumburg Golf Club to detail the action at the annual 5K Chilly Chili. The special event features a 5K on the golf course followed by a chili and hot dog lunch in the clubhouse.
- U.S. Army - Former Schaumburg Park District Executive Director Jerry Handlon serves as Go! Show guest host and talks with Capt. John Kirchgessner and Sgt. Daniel Guimond of the U.S. Army.
December 15, 2009
- Flashlight Candy Cane Hunt - Regular Go! Show contributor Kristy Paukner reports on this new special event held Dec. 10 at the Community Recreation Center. The night featured craft activities, cookies, hot chocolate and, of course, a hunt for candy canes of all shapes, sizes and flavors.
- Holiday Bazaar - SPD Project Manager Kippy Shadel talks with crafters about their handcrafted items and household gifts that were for sale at the annual bazaar held early December at the Woodfield Corporate Center Atrium.
- SBA Expo Convention - Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits with several vendors at the Schaumburg Business Association Expo held late fall at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center.
- Yellow Ribbon Support Group - Former executive director of the Schaumburg Park District Jerry Handlon returns as special guest host to talk with Mac and Pat McCoy of the Yellow Ribbon Support Group. The pair send care packages to America's Defenders.
November 25, 2009
- Investing for the Future - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann is in studio to talk with Joel Boeing, a financial advisor with Edward Jones. The two talk investment, the stock market and all you need to know during some up-and-down economic times.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder - Schaumburg Park District Director of Communications Pat Casler visits with Dr. Anna Flynn to discuss seasonal affective disorder and holiday depression.
- Holidays at Woodfield - Regular Go! Show contributor Gwen Strombeck is at Woodfield Mall to document the arrival of Santa. Strombeck also talks with Woodfield Marketing Specialist Brighid Brown about all the attractions at Woodfield this holiday season.
- The Nutcracker - The Nutcracker is a Schaumburg Park District holiday tradition performed by the Schaumburg Dance Troupe every holiday season. Director of Dance Jan Powers talks with some of the performers in the show.
November 5, 2009
- SAA Baseball - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann talks with Schaumburg Athletic Association Baseball Commissioner Jill Hermes about all you need to know for the upcoming SAA Baseball season.
- SBA Expo - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann talks with Schaumburg Business Association President Laurie Stone and Expo Chairperson Matt Frank.
- U.S. Marines - Returning for a special hosting appearance is former SPD Executive Director Jerry Handlon. Along with Schaumburg Park District Commissioner George Longmeyer, Handlon chats with local U.S. Marine recruiters Joseph Kuchar and Reynan Benasfre.
October 20, 2009
- Howl-O-Ween Pet Parade - Go! Show reporter Gwen Strombeck appears on location at the Second Annual Halloween Pet Parade held Oct. 17 at the Community Recreation Center.
October 7, 2009
- Community Singers - The Community Singers perform at various festivals and events throughout the Schaumburg area and practice Monday nights at the Community Recreation Center. Cultural Arts Supervisor Beth Waller peaks inside a practice for a more in-depth look.
- Selke Waterfront @ Volkening Lake Dedication - Longtime Schaumburg High School athletic director and Schaumburg Park District employee John Selke was honored with the dedication of John L. Selke Waterfront at Volkening Lake Sept. 26. The Go! Show was on hand for the reception and proceedings.
September 21, 2009
- Buddy Foundation - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler is at the Buddy Foundation in Arlington Heights to talk with Jan Bierman, founder and director, and Carmella Lowth, president and volunteer coordinator, of the pet and dog rescue center.
- Kitchen Renovation @ Spring Valley - With the donation of all materials and supplies from IKEA - Schaumburg, the kitchen at the Spring Valley Nature Center underwent a complete renovation.
- Thank you IKEA! - The Schaumburg Park District would like to thank IKEA Schaumburg for its generosity and kindness in donating all the materials for the renovation of the Spring Valley Nature Center kitchen.
September 10, 2009
- Emerald Ash Bore - Blake Snedaker and Brian Borkowicz, both certified arborists for Davey Tree Expert Company, talk with Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann about the Emerald Ash Borer, a non-native species of insect that has caused the loss of tens of millions of ash trees.
- Septemberfest - Executive Director of the Schaumburg Park District and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann interviews Village of Schaumburg Special Events Coordinator Roxane Benvenuti about Septemberfest, just around the corner Sept. 5-7.
- Septemberfest Parade - Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler was on location at the annual Schaumburg Septemberfest Parade, interviewing Park District Commissioners, band directors from Schaumburg and Conant High School, Abraham Lincoln (the theme of this year's parade) and more.
June 24, 2009
- Simply Homemade - Director of Corporate Communications Pat Casler talks with Bill Tarver, owner of Simply Homemade in Schaumburg. Simply Homemade is a meal preparation service designed to take all the work and worry out of preparing dinner.
June 12, 2009
- Backyard Nature Fair & Native Plant Sale - Manager of Spring Valley Dave Brooks is at the Backyard for Nature Fair & Native Plant Sale. The annual Earth Day and Arbor Day celebration featured activities for the entire family including birdhouse building, plantings, puppet shows and tips on soil improvement, planting and landscape techniques.
May 29, 2009
- Employee Fitness Walk - Special Events Supervisor Gwen Strombeck is at the annual Employee Fitness Walk to talk to participants and sponsors including Sweet Tomatoes and Dick Pond Athletics. The annual walk was held in late May at the Woodfield Lake Office Campus.
- Kay Wojcik Dedication - Schaumburg Park District's Oak Hollow Conservation Area was officially dedicated as Kay Wojcik Conservation Area at Oak Hollow in a ceremony May 23, 2009.
May 14, 2009
- Animal Care @ Spring Valley - Spring Valley Heritage Farm Operations Coordinator Evan Zimmerman takes us on an early-morning tour of a typical day in the caring and feeding of animals at Spring Valley. From cows to horses to pigs to chickens, caring for the animals is a time-consuming task.
- Sweet Tomatoes - Schaumburg Park District Special Events Supervisor Gwen Strombeck is on location at Sweet Tomatoes to talk with General Manager Dan Estes about the store and all it has to offer. In addition, the two talk about the upcoming Employee Fitness Walk.
May 1, 2009
- Arbor Day @ Bock Park - Director of Communications Pat Casler and Bock Neighborhood Center Manager Kristy Paukner report from the Arbor Day festivities at Bock Park. In addition to crafts and activities, The Davey Tree Expert Company donated a Swamp Oak sapling that was planted that day and 100 blue spruces to all who participated.
March 18, 2009
- Sugar Bash - Schaumburg Park District Go! Show contributor and SPD Director of Communications and Corporate Relations Pat Casler visits the 24th Annual Sugar Bush Fair. The celebration of maple syrup featured demonstrations of Native American and early pioneer methods of sap collecting and maple sugar and syrup production.
- Dazzles, Inc - Schaumburg Park District Executive Director and Go! Show host Jean Schlinkmann visits Dazzles, Inc. to talk with owner Sharon DiMaria about the salon's charitable donations.
March 2, 2009
- Strollerobics - One of the Schaumburg Park District's more unique fitness classes, Strollerobics, is featured in this segment. The class, held year-round, offers recent moms the chance to spend time with their child and get in a workout at the same time. Using strollers, the class helps build strength and endurance.
February 16, 2009
- An Evening with the Lincolns - With the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birthday, the Go! Show participated in the activities by attending "An Evening with Mr. & Mrs. Lincoln" at Spring Valley Nature Center. Max and Donna Daniels make history come to life by portraying the historic couple.
February 2, 2009
- Chicago Prime Steakhouse - Director of Communications Pat Casler visits the new location for Chicago Prime Steakhouse. Casler talks with Andy-John Kalkounos about the new restaurant and its family-like atmosphere.
- WineStyles - Every fine meal needs a fine drink, and regular Go Show contributor Kristy Paukner visits WineStyles. Paukner talks with Reggie Townsend about the store and the park district class that it hosts, Wineology.
- Fabbrini's Flowers, Inc. - What's Valentine's Day without flowers? Executive Director and Go! Show Host Jean Schlinkmann visits Fabbrini's Flowers, Inc. Schlinkmann talks with owner Jim Fabbrini about the romantic holiday.
- Jeff Can Cook? Catering - If it's an at-home romantic dinner on tap for Valentine's Day, or any day for that matter, Chef Jeff Schiestel is the man to consult. Casler visits the owner of Jeff Can Cook? Catering for tips on wining and dining your significant other.