Strike Guard Wave Siren Lightning Warning System
To provide additional safety to everyone who visits the Schaumburg Park District's outdoor facilities, an early-warning lightning detection system is being installed near selected parks, pools and golf courses.
|Strike Guard at Campanelli. |
The system, called Strike Guard, detects and tracks lightning strikes and provides a warning within a seven-mile radius.
When lightning strikes are detected within a zone, Strike Guard will provide warning with a 15-second siren and flashing strobe light. After conditions are determined safe, the siren will sound three, 5-second blasts and the strobe light will turn off, indicating it is safe to resume outdoor activity.
The warning system will be operational between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. They will not be operational during winter months and when parks are closed.
Park patrons are urged to always be vigilant in monitoring threatening weather and err on the side of caution. Seek shelter immediately in the event of the following:
- You hear one long siren
- You hear thunder (regardless of siren)
- You see lightning (regardless of siren)
- You see the strobe light on when arriving at the park
No place outdoors is safe when a thunderstorm is near! The best shelter from lightning is to be inside a substantial building.
|Strike Guard at Veterans. |
- Avoid carports, porches, garages, sheds, tents, baseball dugouts or under bleachers
- If no substantial shelter is available, seek refuge in a hard topped vehicle with the windows up
- Stay away from trees, electrical poles or other tall objects
- Do NOT LIE FLAT ON THE GROUND! Crouch down on the balls of your feet to create the lowest profile
For questions, concerns, suggestions or comments regarding these lightning detection systems, call the Park District, 847/985-2115.
Click to hear the lightning alert.
Click to hear the all clear alert.